Saturday, March 10, 2012

getting creative

So I found myself with a lot of down time and instead of wasting ALL of it watching hulu and netflix, sometimes I get a little creative:

Monica took some old frames that were being donated from work and gave one to me (from the MTC, mine had a giant photo of a senior couple from the 60s in it) . It didn't fit any posters I had so I decided to make a chalkboard with it. I bought a sheet of wood from Lowes, chalkboard paint, spray paint and got to work. 
I even finally hung up that shelf, bought a little jar and vase from DI to add the finishing touches.
The nook outside my bedroom door is finally decorated, 6 months into living here. 

And since I had chalkboard paint I made these, inspired by ones I saw at Anthropologie:



Clear jar from Ikea, used the blue spray paint I already had for the lid, cut a stencil out of paper, taped up the whole jar, painted with chalkboard paint, traced outline with a sharpie, VOILA! Chalkboard labeled spice jars!

And finally some Pinterest fun:
Rainbow cake in a jar. I totally just winged it off the picture.
White cake batter, dyed bowls into rainbow colors. 
Filled mason jars, put on a tray with a 1/2 of water as to not burn the bottoms. 
Turns out I put too much batter in the jars and they exploded. 
That's OK you have to scoop out a little anyway to put frosting and sprinkles in. 
Labeled and ready to be delivered, I made whoppie pie like snacks out the the tops I cut off.

The really sad thing was I put these in my car to deliver on my way home from work, and silly Utah weather, it happened to be sunny and 57 degrees that day, and they all melted. I was a little pizzed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment