Thursday, April 11, 2013

BBall Baked Goods.

As the self-appointed, team-appreciated ward church ball team mom, I bake a lot of goods.
And I'd thought I'd share what I've done. 
By the way, I always take orange slices for a during game snack, but I spice it up by taking Cara Cara oranges. They are deliciouser. 

After the first week of traditional rice krispie treats, I started taking requests. 

First off was Rocky Road Brownies.
With this recipe you really want to make sure the marshmallows get a little toasty brown, that way they are gooey all the way through. And I used chopped walnuts, I think they go best with brownies. But only on half in case one of the boys could die from nuts.

Next was chocolate covered fruit. One of the team members works at the Seattle Chocolate factory and he gave me some chocolate to use. I melted down peanut butter filled bars and dipped bite size banana pieces and then popped them in the freezer. Ooo those were good. I also dipped strawberries in semi-sweet chocolate for good measure. 

Week four, the request was salted caramel frosting, on anything. So I found the following recipes and made up a concoction. 
Caramel Buttercream. and the Caramel sauce from this recipe. 
And here's what I did: made the caramel sauce, it was surprisingly easy and supes delicious; things get that way when there's a whole stick of butter in 'em. Next I cooked up some devil's food cupcakes. After they cooled completely, I cut little cones out of the top-along the same line as cutting the top of a jack-o-lantern. I drizzled some caramel inside and put the cone back. Then, I made the buttercream. It didn't come out with a very good texture. I don't really know what I did wrong, but I'm positive it's my fault and not Martha's. So instead of frosting the cupcakes, I smeared some of the "buttercream" on like a glaze, sprinkled some coarse sea salt on top, and put a mini rolo on top of that. I call them Rolo cupcakes and they may be the best thing I've ever made. 

Fifth week the request was scotcheroos, which I have never made before. I found this recipe on the Karo Syrup website which means it's probably the healthiest thing ever. 
They turned out great. And the requester literally took an armful of them home. They aren't my favorite, butterscotch has never been at the top of my list. And mixing the rice krispies with the peanut butter syrup is sooo much harder than regular rice krispies. Good Luck.


And now for possibly the last week, unless we win (it's the tournament now). I wanted to make cupcakes. And since I didn't get any requests from any players, I'm fulfilling my own request. I'm making snickerdoodle cupcakes.
They're baking right now and smelling delicious. Cross your fingers that's how my frosting turns out like this. Frosting consistency seems to be my downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment